Studies have shown that drinking clear liquids before you leave home for surgery can help your recovery after surgery.
The guidelines for liquids have changed to encourage you to drink from your chocice of clear iquids up until 2 hours before you arrive at the hospital.
Approved clear liquids include:
- Any liquid you can see through
- Water or noncarbonated flavored water
- Hot or iced tea
- Black coffee
- Clear, fat free broth
- Apple, cranberry, or grape juice
- Ice pops without fruit pieces, pulp, or seeds
Liquids NOT ALLOWED include:
- NO milk, cream, creamers, or sugar in coffee
- NO milk or milk products (no soy or almond milk)
- NO orange, grapefruit, or tomato juice
- NO carbonated beverages
- NO alcoholic beverages